Seriously, he should be President. I know from time to time, you see Marine banter that indicates General James Mattis should be the next President. Sometimes it is filled with absurdity and others it is filled with serious analysis. This post will include a mix of both, but it is based on the seriousness that he would indeed get my vote for President and he should get yours too. Yes, I know Hillary, Jeb Bush, and Chris Christie are all popular names floated around. But General Mattis is the real deal. So here we go.
1. Unquestioned Leadership – Does everyone remember all the street cred and Presidential talk given to General Colin Powell and General Norman Schwarzkopf after the Gulf War? Yes, the Gulf War was a spectacularly amazing victory as we all got to see smart bombs and missiles go through windows and so forth. Then we had that fun little 72-hour blitz into Iraq and Kuwait. It was amazing and we thank them for their leadership. But General Mattis says I’ll see your 72-hour war and raise you another decade.
Granted, General Mattis was not the top General in charge of it all. No, he was just the one loved most by his men and feared by his enemies and he didn’t have to do this for just a business week. This leader kept it together for over a decade of hard-fought ground combat. Now I never met General Mattis myself,but having been a Marine Veteran of Iraq myself, there was no greater comfort than knowing that General Mattis is up there somewhere. As a nation facing many problems and a Presidency marked by less than stellar reviews, don’t you think its about time we can have a President with proven leadership in the most hostile environment imaginable. We need an 8-year break from worrying so much, and I can think of no better facilitator of that peace than General James Mattis.
2. The Secret Service Can Just Be The Backup Plan – It’s been a rough couple of years for the Secret Service. They have been plagued by failures and scandal resulting most recently in the resignation of the head of the Secret Service. If all this happens during a General Mattis Presidency, eh, no big deal. Having General Mattis as President is the equivalent of having Chuck Norris as President, with the exception that Chuck Norris would have to toughen up a bit for this analogy to work.
You see, with the recent news of the fence jumper with a knife running across the White House lawn and making it all the way into the White House, security is all the more important. But with General Mattis as President, the Secret Service can watch this fence jumper run into the White House and think not,” Oh No”, but they will look at him and think, “Poor Bastard, someone call the carpet cleaners again”. The Secret Service needs the help people. General Mattis for President.
3. Partisan Politics Don’t Matter – Since the end of World War II, America has been presided over equally by Republican and Democratic Presidents. In fact, by 2016 it will be dead equal with about 35 years each give or take a few months. Specifically, in the past 16 years, we have been governed by a Conservative George W. Bush and a Liberal Barack Obama. And you know what, we survived. That’s right, the worst has not come true in either scenario. So whether or not General Mattis has particularly conservative or liberal views on any given issue really doesn’t matter. His leadership to the country and his leadership of a capable and effective administration will far outweigh any particular policy disagreement you may have with him.
The truth is, half the country will always be upset with the President over a particular policy. So wouldn’t it be nice to have a President who could effectively lead whatever policy he believes best for the nation. This guy wasn’t sitting around plotting how to be President. I have met many young politicians and so many have that air of pretentiousness and plotting for the next office. Not General Mattis. He was just waiting for the next War. You can’t buy genuine authenticity like this.
4. Other Countries Will Simmer Down – Yes, I am looking at you Putin. Putin’s judo has nothing on General Mattis’ knife hands. The whole speak softly and carry a big stick thing only works if you have a President known to be capable of swinging that big stick. We are talking about the guy that was quoted as saying its a lot of fun to kill Taliban terrorist who slap around their women. I think he even called it a hoot!
In addition, General Mattis will not only command the respect of the military, but the instant obedience to legions of Marine Veterans throughout the nation. Things getting a little rough in South America somewhere but don’t have the authorization for War? All General Mattis has to say is that he wished someone would go down there and do something about that mess and we will all be singing the Marine Corps Hymn in Venezuela by breakfast the next morning. But specifically, I refer back to Putin. Its been hard having a Russian President that you know can beat up your current President. A General with the nickname, “Mad Dog” solves that problem.
5. He is Already More Quoted than Most Presidents – Presidential quotes are a thing. All the good ones are supposed to have one as to be President you have to have a way with words. So let me end this post by offering a few of my favorite General Mattis quotes. First of all he said this, “I don’t lose any sleep at night over the potential for failure. I can’t even spell the word.” Tell me that doesn’t inspire confidence in you from your President. Granted the spelling issue could be a problem, but I am sure there is a Presidential proofreader out there somewhere.
Next, he said, supporting my theory that other countries will simmer down, “Find the enemy that wants to end this experiment (in American Democracy) and kill everyone of them until they are so sick of the killing that they leave us and our freedoms intact.” Hello ISIS, that’s what a Mattis administration has in store for you.
Lastly he said this, “You cannot allow any of your people to avoid the brutal facts. If they start living in a dream world it’s going to be bad.” We need that kind of truth in this nation. Much of America does indeed live in a dream world and a President who will not pander to our delusions might just be the medicine this country needs.
So there you have it, my 5 Reasons General Mattis should be President. Share this article to support his candidacy by Following the Facebook page Unprecedented Mediocrity for more from this blog or signing up to receive Unprecedented Mediocrity directly by email.